- Rainwater harvesting in parks can be done using recharge wells appropriately located and of required depth. In Bangalore it is usually 1 metre in diametre and about 6 metres deep. One recharge well is recommended for 1/4 hectare.
- All the surface runoff is filtered and led into the recharge well. In summer water can be drawn for irrigating the park.
- Design criteria is - zero surface runoff from parks, all water to be recharged and appropriate landscaping in tune with local requirement.
- Rainwater harvesting can be to recharge ground water. A ring well as in the picture can collect 6000 litres of water and allow percolation into the ground.
- Ground water is recharged and urban flooding is prevented if all houses follow the practice.